Dundas Basin is named after Charles Dundas, the first chairman of the Kennet and Avon Canal Company, and it forms the junction between the Kennet and Avon Canal and the Somersetshire Coal Canal. The K&A was designed for boats up to 14 feet wide, whereas the S.C.C. boats were only 7 feet wide. The canals were built between 1795 and 1805, but the wharf and associated buildings were constructed about 20 years later.
Entrance to the S.C.C. is under the aluminium rocker bridge and through the entrance lock.The operation of the entrance lock was overseen by a lock keeper whose cottage now forms part of the private dwelling nearest to the lock chamber.
Around the basin are various items which were nesessary when the canals were in commercial use: the larger of the two buildings was used as a warehouse for the storage of goods and the smaller was a toll house where payments were collected and accounts kept.
On the wharfside is a crane built by Acraman's of Bristol and a number of stone block of accurately-known weight, which were used as part of the commissioning process for any boat using the canal for the first time.
Between the aluminium bridge and the entrance to the pathway which leads to Brassknocker Basin is a metal rack which was used for the storage of stop planks.
LINKS TO THIS AREA:
The Aluminium Bridge The Entrance Lock The K&A Canal Bridge No.177 The Warehouse The Toll House Acraman's Crane Gauging Blocks Lock Keeper's Cottage The Stop-plank Rack More about the Somersetshire Coal Canal >> Brassknocker Basin
The Kennet & Avon Canal Website
The Canal & River Trust website
Return to home page
Return to Maps page
Return to top of this page